Hispanic cuisine is known around the world for its zesty flavors, savory aromas and combinations of color and texture. While many traditional Latin recipes have garnered a poor reputation for being unhealthy, all of the various delicious aspects of Mexican, Latin American and Spanish recipes can be achieved in a healthy, nutritious way. Capture the essence of intriguing, surprisingly healthy and exceptionally tasty Hispanic cuisine with this popular breakfast recipe the entire family will love.
Huevos rancheros with pico de gallo is a genuine Latin flavor that makes a quick and easy breakfast any day of the week.
Traditional Pico de Gallo Salsa
• 1 pound tomatoes, diced
• 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
• 2 tablespoons of lime juice
• 10 to 20 fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
• 2 to 3 finely chopped jalapeno peppers, seeds removed
• Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and allow marinating for approximately 30 minutes.
Healthy Huevos Rancheros con Pico de Gallo
• 8 corn tortillas
• 1 tablespoon cooking oil
• 3 cups of pico de gallo
• 10 egg whites, beaten and mixed with 1/3 cup low fat milk
• Sprinkle of salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Brush both sides of each tortilla lightly with cooking oil. Place tortillas on a baking sheet and bake for five to ten minutes until they begin to brown around the edges.
3. Coat the bottom of a large skillet, heated at medium, with non-stick spray and pour in egg white mixture. Allow to cook for about three minutes or until eggs are completely cooked.
4. Spread cooked egg whites equally over tortillas and top with pico de gallo as desired. Serve Immediately.
5. Black pepper and salt may be added to taste.
This simple Latin-inspired breakfast recipe is sure to please not only the entire family, but visiting friends and family members as well. Serve with sweet mimosas and homemade guacamole for an extra taste of the enticing, exotic flair of famous Hispanic cuisine.
- Protect yourself and loved ones from the flu with tips from Health Net
- You can go from couch potato to a 5K runner in nine weeks – join our Oct. 17 webinar to learn how
- Finding Financial Wellness Challenge Begins August 2018
- Health Net members affected by the River, Ranch and Steele Fires in California are receiving assistance from Health Net
- Health Net members affected by Cranston, Carr and Ferguson Fires in California receiving assistance from Health Net