With its variety of seasonal vegetables and chilly evenings spent indoors, wintertime offers the perfect opportunity to warm up with dinners of rich and hearty soups. These winter soup recipes will have you feeling cozy and satisfied in no time as they leave everyone at the table asking for a second helping.
Classic French Onion Soup
A seasonal favorite, French onion soup is rich in vitamins, minerals and flavor. Whole wheat toast offers fiber that keeps you feeling fuller longer and savory, low-sodium broth warms you up on even the coldest winter nights.
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium leek, chopped (dark green portions and end removed)
1 small white onion, chopped
2 tbsp garlic, chopped
1 tbsp dry sherry
1/4 tsp dried thyme
Dash of fresh ground pepper
14 oz can beef broth, low sodium
2 tbsp scallion greens
3 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
1/3 cup shredded Fontina cheese
2 slices of whole wheat toast
1. Heat olive oil over medium-high in a large pan. Stir in onion and bring heat down to medium. Cook onion, stirring frequently, for approximately 7 minutes until pieces begin to brown.
2. Add garlic, leeks and thyme. Continue to cook for approximately 4 minutes until leek starts to soften.
3. Add ground pepper and sherry, bringing heat back to medium-high. Stir and continue to cook for approximately 30 seconds, reducing liquid.
4. Add chickpeas and beef broth, bringing the mixture to a boil.
5. Bring heat down to medium low to simmer for approximately 3 minutes, or until all vegetables become tender. Remove from heat and add scallion greens.
6. Place toast in the bottom of a soup bowl and sprinkle with cheese. Pour soup into the bowl over toast. Serve right away.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Low in calories and packed with fiber-rich vegetables, this low-sodium classic fills you up quickly, is easy to digest and highlights some of the winter season’s freshest produce.
1 tbsp each butter and olive oil
1 cup peeled carrots, sliced
3 medium celery stalks, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion, finely chopped
64 oz low sodium chicken broth
3 cups raw egg noodles
3 cups cooked chicken breast in bite sized pieces
Dash of salt and black pepper
1. Place olive oil and butter in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. When butter is melted, add vegetables and seasonings. Cook for approximately 10 minutes until tender.
2. Add broth. Bring heat up to high and boil.
3. Add noodles and cook until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
4. Decrease heat and simmer. Add chicken and cook until meat is thoroughly heated, about 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.