Please feel free to share this article with your employees!
The Have a Heart Challenge is a great way to jump-start a healthier lifestyle in 2019. This challenge helps you focus on these heart-healthy steps: eating fruits, vegetables and whole grains, as well as getting physical activity. The challenge begins on February 1.
Your goal is to total 180 points during the challenge. Your heart will thank you!
Maximum points per day:
- Each 10 minutes of physical activity (up to 5).
- Each serving of whole grains (up to 5).
- Each serving of fruits/vegetables (up to 5).
Good goals for overall health include:
- Aiming for 5 or more servings of fruits or vegetables.
- Making half your grains “whole” each day.
- Being active at least 30 minutes per day on most days.
- 1 medium-sized serving (about the size of a tennis ball) of apple, pear, tomato or potato.
- 2 cups of raw leafy vegetables (lettuce, spinach, kale).
- 8 strawberries.
- 2 large plums.
- 2 large stalks of celery.
- 10 broccoli florets.
- 12 baby carrots.
- 1 cup of fresh, frozen, cooked, or canned vegetable or fruit.
- 1 slice of bread.
- 1 cup of ready-to-eat cereal.
- ½ cup of cooked rice, cooked pasta, or cooked cereal. Examples include: whole-wheat flour, bulgur (cracked wheat), oatmeal, whole cornmeal, and brown rice. Check the ingredient list for the words “whole grain” or “whole wheat.”
How can I participate in the Have a Heart Challenge?
Log in to healthnet.com.
- Select Wellness Center.
- Click on Explore All Wellness Tools.
- After reading the disclaimer, click
- Click on
- Click on
- Scroll down to “Join a challenge” and click Get Started.
Please note: The Have a Heart Challenge is available to California commercial and Medicare members only.