Prediabetes is a serious health condition where blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not high enough yet to be diagnosed as type 2 diabetes.
The basics of diabetes prevention
It’s never too late to start diabetes prevention. Changing your lifestyle could be a big first step. Making a few simple changes in your lifestyle now may help you avoid the serious health complications of diabetes down the road, such as nerve, kidney and heart damage. These activities include:
- Making healthier food choices.
- Getting more physical activity.
- Losing a few extra pounds.
Good news about sugar!
Sugar plays a huge role in preventing diabetes. And while sugar seems to be in everything we eat these days, we don’t have to give up sweetness altogether – we just need to learn how to get it from healthier sources.
Health Net is offering a telephone/webinar-based class to help inform you about:
- The impact sugar has on your body.
- Ways to retrain your taste buds.
- Where to look for sugar that can be found in unexpected food sources.
- Tips to lower the amount of sugar in your diet.
We will hold the Preventing Diabetes: Don’t Sugar Coat It webinar on Wednesday, December 12, 2018, from 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. Pacific time (PT).
In this class, you’ll learn about the following:
- Different types of sugar.
- Why our bodies crave sugar.
- The relationship between our brain and sweets/sugars.
- What sugar does to your body.
- Easy steps and helpful tips to kick the sugar habit.
Remember, our monthly webinars are offered to all Health Net members and to the general public. Feel free to share this information with your friends and co-workers!