Making it work for you
Knowing how your health insurance works can help you and your doctor find the best health care options for you. One of the best ways to make the most of your health plan is to see your doctor for regular checkups.
Health insurance covers the cost of certain tests, drugs and treatments that you may need. There are also some services that are not covered. If you choose to receive these services, you may have to pay the costs yourself.
To help make sure you and your doctor choose medical care that is covered in your health plan:
- Read your policy carefully.
- Call member services if you have any questions.
- Check which doctors, hospitals and clinics are part of your health plan network.
- Find out if you need approval from your health plan for a hospital stay, surgery or certain tests before they are given.
- Ask if you need a referral from your doctor to see another doctor.
- Ask your doctor to prescribe medicines your health plan covers.
Some of your health plan benefits may help you and your family stay healthy. Ask your doctor about:
- Pap tests.
- Blood pressure tests.
- Cholesterol tests.
- Vaccines, such as a flu shot.
- Well-child visits.
Talk with your doctor about the healthy choices you can make regarding diet and exercise.
And remember, one of the best ways to make the most of your health plan is to see your doctor for regular checkups.
Source: American Academy of Family Physicians